Nature’s Best Photography’s Conservation Photographer of the Year for this year’s Windland Awards is Cristina Mittermeier. Cristina travels the globe as the President of the International League of Conservation Photographers (ILCP), a group that has become a force in furthering environmental and cultural conservation through ethical photography.
Cristina Mittermeier / Nature's Best Photography
The land crab inhabits the Ambodihavibe Bay region in northern Madagascar.
Photographer Cristina Mittermeier said:
“This location in Madagascar is the site of a major protected marine area that was established with the help of Conservation International to study coastal marine ecosystems, because they potentially give us a low-cost option for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.”
Camera: Sony DSLR-A900; focal length 16.0 mm; 1/500 sec at ƒ/9.0; ISO 250
- Nature's Best Photography: Flamingos fly past the Paine Mountains in Chile
- Nature's Best Photography: The view from inside a Hawaiian wave
- Nature's Best Photography: A hummingbird faces off with a pit viper
- Nature's Best Photography: African elephant on alert in Kenya
- Nature's Best Photography tag stream
- Click here to see more from Nature’s Best Photography magazine.
- Click here to see more animal pictures in our "Animal Tracks" slideshow.