SANA via EPA
Smoke rising from burning cars at the scene of two bomb blasts in Al Kazaz, a residential area in Damascus, Syria, on May 10, 2012.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The images in this report were released by the state-controlled Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA).
Reuters reports — Two suicide car bombers killed 55 people and wounded 372 in Damascus on Thursday, state media said, in the deadliest attacks in the Syrian capital since an uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began 14 months ago.
The blasts further shredded a ceasefire which was declared by international mediator Kofi Annan on April 12, but which has failed to halt bloodshed pitting Assad's security forces against peaceful demonstrators and an array of armed insurgents.
Two huge explosions in quick succession shook the Syrian capital of Damascus today. The suicide car bombs killed at least 55 people and wounded over 370. ITN's Paul Davies reports.
The U.S. Embassy in Beirut said the bombing was "reprehensible and unacceptable," but added that it would not change U.S. demands for the Syrian government to implement Annan's peace plan.
Opposition leaders said Annan's peace plan was dead, while Western powers insisted it remained the best way forward.
Annan himself condemned the "abhorrent" bombings and urged all parties to halt violence and protect civilians. "The Syrian people have already suffered too much," he said in a statement.
Previously on PhotoBlog:
- Syrian soldiers injured in explosion while escorting UN convoy
- 7 killed as Red Cross and Arab League warn of civil war in Syria
- Deadly bombs in Syria's Idlib target security
- From the front line to the front page: Syria's image war
SANA via AP
Two Syrian soldiers, left, and civilians carry a dead body after the explosions.
The official news agency SANA said the two explosions had occurred in a densely populated area where employees and students were on their way to work and school.
SANA via AP
An injured man, right, pictured after the blasts.