Environmental activists measure a dead whale shark after it was stranded on Pandansimo beach in Bantul, near the Indonesian city of Yogyakarta on August 2, 2012.
The whale shark died after rescue teams failed to drag it back to sea, the European Pressphoto Agency reports. According to the coordinator of local NGO Animal Friends Yogyakarta, the creature ran aground on Baru beach while looking for food. Whale sharks feed on macro-algae, plankton, krill, small squid, or small fish.
Previously on PhotoBlog:
- Dead humpback whale washes up in seaside pool
- Fishermen reel in shark the size of a school bus
- Pakistani man fights police over 40-foot shark
- Crowd pay their respects to beached whale in British Columbia
- Whale of a problem in Rio